Page Views

Friday 27 January 2012

Try Something New!

In the words of Joseph Campbell (American writer, 1904-1987), "The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek." Sometimes it helps to just branch out and explore something you wouldn't normally try in your writing. For example, I have always written in third person with my main characters being British women in their thirties or forties but for Camp NaNoWriMo in July, 2011, I decided to write in first person from the point of view of a ten-year-old American boy and it was surprisingly successful. 


If your writing is getting a little stiff or you don't feel that you're getting anywhere with your writing, maybe it's time to take a break from whatever you're writing and start with a new piece, a new area that you haven't touched on before. By giving your mind a rest you will refresh yourself and when you come back to your project, you will have more to say because you're looking at it with new eyes. And hey, who knows, you might find something you really love while taking your break.

I say give it a go - it worked for me and I hope it works for some of you.
Any particular stories about trying something new? Comment below.


Lydia

3 comments:

  1. I love the quote. <3 "The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy when I found it - it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added it to my list of favorite quotes now ^-^

    ReplyDelete