Page Views

Thursday 26 January 2012

Get Rid Of Your Fear

Any young writer will know that it's hard to shake these fears about not being good enough or not having enough experience but I don't think this should be the case. If I had my way, there would be more budding young writers, eager to share and learn.

My advice to you, which will sit well with any fellow pyromaniacs, is to write down every fear you have about writing, or your lack of it perhaps. Maybe you think you can't write characters convincingly enough or your plot is flat. Whatever it is, write it down. It helps a little even just getting those words on the paper and who knows, it might prompt your inner creativity to pour out.

Write it out twice, once in a negative light and once in an optimistic, positive light. Stick the optimistic list up on your cupboard door or fridge, somewhere you'll see it.

Next step is to burn the negative one. There isn't any point in beating yourself up about these little things that every writer will have experienced. You're not weird or abnormal, you're just a beginner or perhaps you never sorted this out earlier and it's hanging over you. I certainly have my issues - I can't believe that anyone would want to read what I write because who am I to expect that it will be worth anything? These are things I'm working on getting rid of and I hope you do too.

Do you have any particular methods for relieving your writing-related issues and stresses?  - comment below

Lydia

3 comments:

  1. Nyhehehe XD I love it - burn the negative one :P

    Last night, I actually wrote a journal and I wrote the things about why I actually feared starting a drawing. I guess I knew why I feared it, but I never really had it out in words. I think it was helpful, and I'm sure could do the same type of journal for fears of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you did it! I find it really helps just to write things out once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does! Since Friday, I've started doing a daily journal =)

    ReplyDelete