Page Views

Sunday 24 June 2012

In the words of Journey . . .

Don't Stop Believing!

After the Glee overhaul of Don't Stop Believing, Journey's song became known nationwide, an iconic tune. And the words are relevant to pretty much everyone: Don't stop believin' / Hold on to this feeling. Journey were onto something there.

Don't ever give up hope when it comes to writing. Everyone has their own voice and sometimes, you need to shout to be heard but rest assured - you're there and someone will hear you. There will be so many times in your writing life when you just want to pack it in and get a job as a grocer. While that may be great (and fantastic for inspiration), it's not you. If you truly believe that you're a writer through and through, it's something you have to hold on to. Perhaps keep the grocer position but keep the writing too. Even if it's only a hobby, don't let it slide.

There was a time a while back when I boycotted writing. Things weren't going well and I didn't want to disappoint myself even further by writing rubbish stuff. I was halfway through the second book in a series and I just stopped. I haven't touched that series since, even though I loved it, because it hurts but I shouldn't have given up completely. For over six months, I think, I didn't write at all, not only that project. I was scared and I lost belief in myself, that I had the capability. The thing is, everyone is capable.

If your project is bringing you down, just put it to one side. Don't get rid of it or you'll regret it. Just set it aside and try something new. Maybe you're writing a utopian fantasy for kids when really your calling is to be writing a crime thriller for young adults. Try experimenting with various genres. For years, I was writing adult chick lit and then I dabbled in fantasy but now I've realised that I'm best at teenage literary fiction. I like to explore possible lives of other people my own age, in different societies and from different backgrounds. Take a look at different genres around or try writing in the voice of your favourite writer. You might find that you enjoy it and want to do your own take on their work.

Whatever you do, keep your faith in yourself. After my long hiatus, I decided to have a go at the first ever Camp NaNoWriMo where I wrote in the voice of an eleven year old American boy fleeing his home town after a government lockdown. While I realised that I wasn't sure about writing in that sort of unrealistic genre, I did learn a lot about my voice. I learnt that I like writing in first person, from the point of view of younger people. I enjoyed being eleven for this book and I'd do it again. I even find that I love to write from a boy's point of view. I never thought that would be my type of writing but I went out on a whim and it was a serendipitous experience.

Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment