Page Views

Sunday 27 May 2012

Writing Stress vs Exam Stress

So, one of the reasons I haven't posted in a while is because of exams - I consoled myself with the thought that as long as I wasn't "wasting time writing" then I'd have more of a chance of actually getting some revision done. That was, hmm, three months ago? Yeah, I never got any revision done because the whole time, I was pining to write my story, to get the words down on the paper but I was terrified.
What if I start it and then leave it?
What if I write instead of focusing on exams?
There needed to be some compromise and I wish I had forced that a little earlier. Too late now: I'm nearly done with exams and I neither wrote nor revised because while I needed to do one, I couldn't stop thinking about the other. It was a horrible circle.

An important thing is to focus. Without focus, what is there? A bewildered mind wondering what to do. I'm still trying to muster up the gusto to just sit down and focus on writing. I have hundreds of notebooks waiting for me and I've picked out a great one; I have my planning. What's holding me back? Lack of focus.

Writing relieves stress. I saw a quote recently that read, "Writing relieves stress because you can put all of that stress build up into an argument between characters."
That's a very true quote and something I've used many a time (though I have to make sure the argument is relevant, of course).

As far as exams go, it's probably best to rest most of your focus on those though I can't talk. Leave a little time aside for writing else you might go completely insane but don't let yourself fail. Here's hoping I haven't!

Any particular methods of balancing revision and leisure?

Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment